Feb 10, 2017

Chinese New Year 2017 - Year of the Cock

I am back to write again. Was being hiatus for quite some time since my holidays began. I am on a 3 week holiday break. It's my semester break + chinese new year holiday. We are now closing to the end of Chinese New Year. How time pass :/ I am one week away back to campus.

This year I was able to spend more time in KL instead of my hometown in Pahang. I was able to meet up with most of my friends, and also going to each other houses for bai nian. Manage to catch up with one another after some time. I personally like chatting with one another when we go for bai nian, seeing our friend's parents as well, all too familiar since we all have been friends since high school. It's not about the gamble or the angpaos you receive. Thou we all would definitely like to win some money and receive big angpaos. They act as a medium for everyone to communicate with one another. This year especially, my friends and I played "In Between". It is very very intense. You will know how intense it is if you played it.

All of us were screaming, bribing one another to bet higher lol, you can see both ends of a spectrum. Some were being devils - tempting to bet higher. Some were being angels - pulling the hand brake, not to bet anymore. It was really fun haha. Most frequent use word during gambling is "You either go big or go home". Damn it hahahaha.

Hometown.
For this Chinese New Year, my family and relatives have our reunion dinner at a restaurant. It wasn't like our usual reunion dinner where everyone will prepare dishes and we'll have dinner on a very big long table (total of 3 tables). Some of my uncles and aunts thought, we should have a rest during the reunion dinner. Preparing a reunion dinner for a big family is no easy job. Preparation can start as early as morning til dinner time. And after dinner, there will be much cleaning to do. So thus, we ended up having a more relaxing reunion dinner.

Typical restaurant reunion dinner
I however really loved all the preparation and cleaning up lol. Yes, there will be a lot of work to do. But it is the process that really counts and matter most. The preparation for dinner is long. Well, that means more time to bond for me. We all will help one another preparing the dishes, carrying the dishes to the table, filling up everyone's rice bowls, making sure everyone have their spoons and chopsticks. Then after dinner, the younger ones, usually us cousins will settle with all the cleaning since the uncle and aunts already did all the preparation and cooking. The cousins and I will distribute our jobs into soaping dishes, rinsing, wiping the dishes and cleaning up the table. It is really a lot of fun since everyone is doing it together.

Having that said, I am not unsatisfied la. I am just expressing my previous reunion dinner experience lol. We only dine out on reunion dinner. The other days were all home cooked food. Oh yay! :D

Home-cooked meals are always the best!

Had pan mee on day two.

It was so goooooood. The taste still lingers on my taste buds <3


It was only these recent years where the cousins will spend a day out together. It is one of the very fun moments during each Chinese New Year. Us cousins rarely meet up. We probably only meet up during this festive season. So that's only once a year! It is really nice to have them thou :)

Boys being boys lol. 


On a side note, did you come upon a post that was shared widely in facebook regarding our perspective on Chinese New Year? Every now and then, we often say "Eh this year's Chinese New Year not as festive as last year hor", "this year more quiet, less festive mood leh".

Screenshot from facebook.



Chinese New Year is always there. We celebrated it ever since young, sometimes it's not the lack of festive season feeling that deteriorates, it is probably our perspective on cny. I think the post had a good point. When we were young, we would like to buy new clothes and wear it on the first day of cny. But as we grow older, it is no longer necessary to get new clothes. And so as to young adults now who spend more time wishing cny on social medias. So it's our perspective on this festive season itself.

PS: My chinese isn't very good, so this what i understand from the post la lol. You guys who are better in chinese can understand it better than me. I also understand part of it only lol. So please mind my chinese abilities la!


I just think we should really just treasure the time spent with our family and relatives. We don't know how many Chinese New Year can we spend together and it's also a once a year celebration which gathers every family members. So just enjoy the moment lah! :)

Priscilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at prisong@live.com I'll reply as soon as possible!