Mar 24, 2016

Wisdom Tooth

Hi guys!

On Friday (18th of March), I had a dental appointment to extract my wisdom tooth! Beforehand, I went to AIMST dental clinic to book a date to pull out my wisdom tooth. So I went to the reception and told them regarding my wisdom tooth. If you are a first timer, they will first ask you fill up a form to register. I've been to the dental clinic several times so I have my record file there.

First of all, the dentist did a check up for me. Occasionally, I will feel pain at my right lower jaw. After the quick check up, I was told to go for an x-ray. The x-ray was then sent to the dentist for further consultation.



So as you can see, my wisdom tooth is very obvious. The dentist told me that I had 3 wisdom tooth surfacing. In some cases, there isn't any need to extract your wisdom tooth but in my case, I was experiencing some pain and I was said that because my wisdom tooth was very horizontally placed, it will affect the arrangement of my teeth. So it was advisable to extract it.

On the 18th of March, I went to get my wisdom tooth extract. I was glad that I went there with my friend. The both of us was on the 9am appointment. However so, she went it first and I had to wait for her oral surgery to be done only I could go in. It took almost 1 hour for the oral surgery to be done.



When it was my turn, I went in. The first thing they asked is which part do I experience the pain. So I said my lower right jaw. So they will do the extraction of tooth there. You will first receive an injection of anesthetic. It is done so that your jaw will feel numb and so you will not experience any pain throughout the oral surgery. If you are afraid of injection, honestly it wasn't as painful and scary as I thought. Initially I was terrified of the idea having an injection at my gums, but to my surprise it wasn't that painful! Towards the end of the oral surgery was even painful T.T I will tell you why later on.




It is a bit terrifying however, seeing the syringe going into my mouth for injection. Embrace yourself kay.

Oh by the way, my oral surgery was done by the dental students of AIMST. In between of the surgery, the lecturer will step in to help out. You might feel scare or insecure to let the students to conduct your surgery, but based on my experience you should be glad lol. Why do I say so? I find the lecturers abit too rough during the surgery compared to the students. The students are more gentle and soft because it's something new to them, and they are afraid if they might hurt us. But lecturers are experienced already, they've done it alot of times, so they do things quicker. Students would definitely be a bit slower but at least I like that they are being gentle with my mouth.

For my case, my wisdom tooth was drilled into a few pieces because it was harder to extract the whole wisdom tooth. They had to break it into pieces and extract it one by one. The drilling part was quite intimidating because you could hear the sound and even smell something burning? wth. So that was the scary part for me T.T The surgery ended by stitching my wounds. I had a total of 3 stitches at my gums. And I have to return to the dental clinic later on this week to remove the stitch. During the stitching part, the lecturer done a better job at it.

What do you do after your wisdom tooth oral surgery?
I was told to not take any spicy or hot food as it might cause your stitches to open. It is very much advisable to take cold food such as ice-cream. But only on the first day itself, Take your meal at least after 45 minutes after your surgery. You can gargle with salt water to disinfect. Brush your teeth gently, careful to not brush on the stitches. Having your wisdom tooth extracted might cause some swelling. My face swelled. And it was quite a big swell. Apparently, my immune system wasn't that strong, so I had the large swell for almost a week where as my friend only had it for 2 days. I revisit the dentist to ask why was my swelling a bit hard. My swelling was at my lower jaw, and when touched, it felt like a rock. The dentist told me it was due to blood clot, and there is a high chances of infection so he prescribed antibiotics for me and advised me to put hot pack on my swelling to allow blood circulation.

When you finished your surgery, the anesthetic effect was till there. The moment it wears off, you could slowly feel the pain sunking in. I was given pain killers in case the pain was bearable. But if you can resist the pain, you better not take it unless you really couldn't stand it.


What did I eat?
My first meal was oat. Very diluted oat. Followed by ice-cream! Such a relieve to have ice-cream as it really soothes the pain away. Then I had mash potato and also coleslaw. I also had porridge.

Scramble eggs with tomato, onion and carrot.

Quaker Instant Multigrain Porridge!

I added mushroom to the the multigrain porridge.


Up until the 3rd day, I started to take more solid food such as noodle. The reasons I find it hard to eat was because of my swelling, it restricts my mouth opening. I had to cut the food into smaller pieces, then only I could eat. So that's why I optioned more liquid or semi-solid food instead.

Oh by the way, did you know that I extracted my wisdom tooth for free? All students in AIMST are entitled for free dental check-ups, including scaling, filling and extraction of wisdom tooth. So do make use of the services provided to us AIMST students! Even a friend of mine who had a tooth tragedy, her tooth fell out due to an accident, she did crowning in AIMST dental clinic. And guess how much it costed her? FREE. You could easily pay at least a thousand ringgit plus for any other dental clinics. For the extraction of wisdom tooth, a friend of mine did it for RM1000 in KL, and at least RM500 in other places. The money I saved on my oral health (Y).


Priscilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at prisong@live.com I'll reply as soon as possible!